




Once I was married to guy in his twenties.......Now I am not! We had a good day yesterday. Jeff woke up (later than me as usual) to breakfast in bed. Turns out we didn't have any food in the house except the end of a loaf of bread and an egg so I made him french toast with jelly on it. Normally I plan better than that, but I made up for it at the party. After breakfast in bed, we went back to sleep and finally woke up and got ready to go to lunch in Jeff's restaurant of choice (where we could get chicken fingers and onion rings). Actually turns out that restaurant was full and we had to find plan B which was Macedonian food. Don't get me wrong..Macedonian food is great- -but sometimes we do get tired of it. Of course, as long as there is meat, Jeff is happy! We took a taxi back to Butel where the guy refused to open up the windows( it was steaming) because of a little thing they call "promai" which is any kind of draft which most Macedonians believe will always make you deathly ill. So sweaty and all, we were off to buy the food for the party, not knowing how many people would show up (anywhere from 5-25) we ended up getting into a small disagreement about how much food to buy and later Jeff was cutting salami into slices when he sliced his hand pretty deep. I mended it up with paper towels and tape the best I could and our silly fight was over- -nothing like blood to make you realize how petty things are! We ordered cake from Ole the day before, so we went to pick them up and she wouldn't let us pay for one of them (we love Ole) So around 8:30pm people started coming for the party (of course we said it started at 7:30pm). Turns out there were about 20 people. We had a good time- -cake, kareoke (of course), and "mooabet"- -that's Macedonian for small talk. We saved the cake till near the end in good Macedonian style and everyone left around 11:30pm. We spent the next couple of hours opening gifts (you never open them in front of people), cleaning, and replying to 100 emails that Jeff got for his birthday!! Thanks guys- -that was classic! There's Jeff's 30th Birthday in a nutshell. By the way, I got him a grill, but it is electric- -you can't really find the gas ones here, but anyhow- -I'm looking forward to Jeff cooking again!
No comments:
Post a Comment