
Here in Macedonia it is almost like going back 50 years to a land full of traditions, slower paced life, and "old wives tales". In the fall, usually during the first cold spell, they begin making Aijvar which is a two day process and consists mainly of red peppers, eggplant, and oil. They make enough to last through the year and they can just about eat it every day- -so they make tons of it. You buy the peppers by the kilo- -usually 50 kilos at a time! You start by roasting the peppers as you see in the picture. Then you take off the skins of the peppers. You get a huge (I mean really HUGE) pot and put the peppers and eggplant with oil and salt and cook everything together outside on a fire stirring continuously until you get tired and pass the spoon to someone else. It is a family affair and though I have yet to help make it, I've been told that I will get to! We will probably only do 20 kilos of peppers instead of 50- -it is good, but I am a big fan of variety in my diet! There will be more pictures to come of us actually making it and the finished product (which once again tastes better than it looks)- -as does everything in Macedonia! : )
No comments:
Post a Comment