Thursday, January 12, 2012

Grains of Sand

I saw this picture this week and was in awe of what it was. Supposedly, it's grains of sand magnified a ton. I've heard of snowflakes and stars all being different and unique, but never sand.

"Like sands in an hour glass...so are the days of our lives." Corny, maybe.

Well anyways, it has really got me thinking....maybe it's because tomorrow we celebrate 5 years in Macedonia. 5 Years!

So, I calculated how many days we've been here...
it's around 1,800

Then I googled (love the info you can find on the internet) how many grains of sand are in a handful of sand....
around 12,000 (have I shown my dorkiness yet?)

If we calculated our lives based on grains of sand and we are fortunate enough to live a long life, we'd have about 2 1/2 handfuls of sand.

Yet...somehow I think I've been here a long time and that things should be moving faster than they have.

Each day (like each grain of sand) has been different and beautiful in it's own way. But... it's only been a drop in the bucket so to speak or just enough sand to fill a thimble.

For some reason it struck me....
these verses...

2 Peter 3:8–9
‘But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.’

and then I read in Genesis yesterday about Isaac and Rebekah....

how Isaac pleaded with God for Rebekah to have a child....

20 years after they were married, she gave birth to Jacob and Esau.

20 years?!!! I thought it was hard to wait 4 years....

He is patient...apparently I am not.

5 years (1,800) days later and things don't look as I had hoped. We had hoped to be getting ready for the leaving/moving on stage...meaning solid Churches existing here in Prilep that were self sustaining. We are so far from that- -at least that's the view from where we see things. We are thankful His heavenly view is all-knowing and working all things together.

HE is patient, not wanting anyone to perish. HE is not slow in keeping His promises.

We are finite and fleeting. HE is infinite and everlasting.

HE created each beautiful grain of sand.

Through all this...God's been teaching me that there can be incredible joy in the waiting, even when it is hard, maybe even because it is hard. Thank you Lord for the lessons You teach us. For Your wonderful Word. For being patient with us as we learn to wait on You.

"So teach us to number our days, That we may present to You a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90:12

1 comment:

Christina said...

I enjoyed your blog! I, too, am a blogger and discovered you through the IMB blog page. Our family went through ILC w/the Dovers! Anyway, good to read you ... and now follow you!

Chrisitna Elledge
elledgefamilyblog.blogspot.com