Thursday, February 02, 2012

Not going to complain


"Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world..." Phillipians 2:14-15

Years ago I read a book called Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow that had this line (taken straight out of a diary of a woman who had been a missionary in Africa for 52 years)...

"Don't ever allow yourself to complain about anything- -even the weather."

That line has stuck with me....I'm not going to say that I always stick to it, but it has stuck with me. There is a difference. Putting into practice what you know you should do and actually doing it. There are a lot of things that are easier said than done. Not complaining is a hard one for me.

When I woke up this morning to a fresh new blanket of snow (on top of the other 5 layers that had never melted) I wasn't jumping for joy. Granted, it really is beautiful, but it means plans are changing....my plans. God has something else in mind and I need to embrace it, not wish it away.

When I'm hot I'd rather be cold, when I'm cold I rather be hot. Summer brings desire for winter, and winter for summer. Never completely satisfied.... Weather is just the beginning really. Not married....longing for someone. Married without kids....longing for kids. Married with kids...longing for some time away.

Lord, help me to not complain about ANYTHING. Help me to long for YOU more than I long for circumstances to be different. Help me to be content with EVERYTHING you send (or don't send) my way.

1 comment:

Brian, Mandy, Kate, Thomas, and Isaiah said...

Great post sweet lady! Good word. Thanks so much for sharing!