
I haven't officially had a grandpa for almost 20 years now...
that was until I met Papaw (my husband's grandpa) 7 years ago while we were engaged. I knew the first time I met the quiet man with the flattop haircut that reminded me of the man I was about to marry (not that Jeff is quiet or has a full head of hair) that he would be my adopted grandpa.
Since then, I've only gotten to see him on special occasions and that usually around a crowd of people. Jeff comes from a large family. I don't pretend to have known him well, but I treasure the time I did get to spend with him.
He was a WWII veteran who at 80 years old became a born again follower of Jesus. 5 years with Jesus on earth...an eternity with Him in heaven.
Beautiful.
Life-changing.
Legacy leaving.
So...the whirlwind trip I mentioned a couple of blog posts ago is over. We were able to visit with Papaw for a few days while he was still doing fairly well. He talked with us a little (he was a man of few words) and watched our kids play. I will never forget the last day I saw him, as he looked at Maggie playing and said "I love you."
The Lord allowed him to suffer as little as possible as it was 3 weeks from his diagnosis to his death. He allowed us to make it there in time to spend quality time with him. God was gracious enough to allow us to attend the funeral of this great man.
Jeff's dad preached the funeral and gave a great challenge, one that Papaw wanted everyone to consider..."Are you ready?" Papaw lived a long, full life, but we are not promised that.
"The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to His voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When He has brought out all his own, He goes on ahead of them, and His sheep follow him because they know His voice. " John 10:3-4
Do you know the Good Shepherd's voice?
Do you listen to it?
Do you follow Him?
Papaw did.
Eugene F. Jerry, 85, of El Dorado, passed away Monday, December 5, 2011, at his residence. He was born June 2, 1926, to Armon A. Jerry and Lissie Jane Jerry in Lawson, AR. Eugene was a veteran of the United States Army having served in WWII, retired from Lion Oil Refinery and was a member of Union Baptist Church.
The legacy he left behind (written on our hearts) says so much more.
"A good character is the best tombstone. Those who loved you and were helped by you will remember you when forget-me-nots have withered. Carve your name on hearts, not on marble." Charles Spurgeon
1 comment:
Amy, what beautiful words! thank you for inspiring me and so many others to leave a "legacy of greatness". Love ya, s-i-l!!!
Post a Comment