Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day


Funny....I have no idea what I did with this extra day 4 years ago. It kind-of comes and goes with little fanfare. I didn't have kids back then, though I desperately wanted them- -I remember that much. Today I am enjoying having an extra day in the year with the 2 little ones that God has blessed us with...even if it did snow AGAIN after it had FINALLY melted. Not going to complain (see previous post)... That is so hard sometimes :)

4 years ago we were still praying about whether we should move to Prilep. SO much has changed in our lives. God has done so much. It really makes me wonder what life will look like in 2016- -the next time we'll have a chance to live this calendar day (if God allows). I'll have an almost 7 year old and a 5 1/2 year old. I think we'll be in Prilep in our third term. But...only God knows the plans HE has for us. I just know that they are good plans and I'm along for the ride.

God has been trying to teach me about value lately. What exactly do I value? What do I consider valuable, what gives my life worth, and how I am blessed? Then I think about what the world values. I keep thinking that I don't really like the values the world is selling, but for some reason I keep buying into them (if I'm honest with myself).

Blessed are those who are able to have all that they desire.

Blessed are those who have something interesting to say and an audience to hear or read it.

Blessed are those who are viewed as important.

Blessed are those who are safe and healthy.

Blessed are those who the world sees as beautiful.

Blessed are those who endure as few hardships as possible.

Blessed are those whose kids are smart and well behaved.


Why is it that I believe these things sometimes more than I believe what the Bible says?

Jesus was pretty clear about the values we should have in the sermon on the mount in Matthew 5.

"1 When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him. 2 He opened His mouth and began to teach them, saying,

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

5 “Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.

6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.

8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

10 “Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

These people who Jesus is describing are heavenly focused so much so that the things of this world seem to lose their importance in their hearts. I want that!

Acknowledging spiritual bankruptcy without the blood of Jesus, facing hardships trusting only He can carry them through, humbly seeing others as better than themselves, pursuing holiness, showing compassion, unselfishly motivated, seeking to reconcile, enduring opposition for the Faith.

Lord, help me to strive to be this kind of person. Help me to hold fast to the values that You have set before us. They are lofty, but You give the strength and the ability. The reward is so great!

No comments: