That is really hard to do sometimes, isn't it? We grow up and think that the way we do things is the best way- -the right way. Living in another country for over 5 years teaches you to be more humble I think. Language, life in general, raising children....they all present different challenges for those of us who live our lives in another culture. We automatically become learners....or at least we should. We still come with our baggage of opinions though and our tendency (especially on the more difficult days) to think, "if they just did it our way..."
I've learned to appreciate many things about the culture here throughout the years.....Notice I didn't say everything :)
I now love an expresso with milk instead of the filter coffee I used to crave.
I love how they take the time to hang out with people, and things never seem quite so rushed.
I love that I can walk everywhere and I do because I still haven't mastered the art of driving a stick.
I love that people just drop by without having to be invited (that has taken me years, by the way).
Just when you think you have the whole culture thing figured out, you end up learning something new. It's exciting really, if you choose to focus on the positive. I'm not saying I always do, but perspective and attitude really do influence how you feel about those differences.
Last week we went on a vacation to Albania with some really good friends of our who are Macedonian. God taught me a lot on that trip. I learned a lot about myself and it was like cultural immersion like we'd never experienced before. We had stayed the weekend with some Macedonians our first year in the country, but I learned so much more on this trip. I love that we are so different, and it for sure makes things more interesting....and sometimes challenging. We can thank the tower of Babel for that. :)
I give all glory to God for the love He gives us for the people here, and for the culture. It has become our home and though I am still an American (and always will be), it seems I become a little more Macedonian every day. I pray that He gives us more love and compassion and I pray that we always think of others as better than ourselves.

No comments:
Post a Comment