Friday, April 21, 2017

Suffering

We have a Savior who suffered and comforts us in our suffering....


         Isaiah 53:3-5

HE was despised and rejected by men,
    a Man of Sorrows and acquainted with grief;

and as One from whom men hide their faces

     HE was despised, and we esteemed HIM not.

Surely HE has borne our griefs

and carried our sorrows;

yet we esteemed HIM stricken,

    smitten by God, and afflicted.



But HE was pierced for our transgressions;
    HE was crushed for our iniquities;
upon HIM was the chastisement that brought us peace,
    and with HIS wounds we are healed.

Less than two weeks ago I watched one of my good friends bury her mom. Although her mom was 79 years old, it was, of course, too soon for my friend, and it hurt to watch her hurt. 

On Good Friday, I sat next to a lady who had recently lost her son.  He was around my age.  With compassion, it made me humbly think more about what happened on that glorious, horrific day. 

Yesterday, I stood in the ICU waiting area with a friend whose 12 year old son has been diagnosed with Sepsis and had been given a grim prognosis. 

This morning we received word that one of our good friends who served with us in Macedonia is in the ICU from bleeding and clotting in the brain. 

There is a heaviness in my heart that can only be bore by the Lord.  I can’t pretend to know what each of these four families is going through right now, or why they are being asked to bear so much. I do know this truth...

“ In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials,  so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.”  (1 Peter 1:6-7)

 I do know that they have a Savior, a wonderful all-caring and all-knowing Savior that grieves with them, that holds them, and that catches every tear.  

You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book?”  (Psalm 56:8)

I know God will use each of these trials to bring glory to Himself, but I want to be able to take it away, to make it easier.  

I’ve seen how He, “...comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.” (2 Corinthians 1:4) I know in my head there is a greater purpose in the suffering.  I know that there is growth and closeness in the Lord through it.  I know. 

But, I almost hate how life just goes on. There are groceries to buy, meals to fix, birthday parties to plan, meetings to go to.

We can forget, get consumed, get numb to it all.  The suffering around us is so great.  The same God who can heal, may not.  He is still good.  There is no escaping death, just delaying it.  The ache lessens with the years, but never goes away. 

“When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.” Isaiah 43:2

When.....not if. 

WHEN you pass through the waters,
WHEN you walk through the fire.

"For I am the LORD your God, The Holy One of Israel, your Savior...” Isaiah 43:3a

He is with us the WHOLE time.  He suffered and comforts us in our suffering.  





No comments: